Thursday, September 17, 2009

Race factor

I was scanning some news channels yesterday of all hue and found Larry King..(ye, that guy who was born in ice age and wears suspenders..) discussing the 'race factor'...

I find it interesting..(stupid, actually) for people to assume that just because O is the new President, racism will vanish from America!

That's naivety. It's like saying, since the most powerful politician in India is woman , and we have a woman President and several female Chief Ministers, and Indira Gandhi ruled India for good part of 2 decades, the discrimination against Women was over...

It will take 100 Os to change this, if at all. Point being, certain discriminations like race, gender, sexual orientation have nothing to do with leader of the day. It's ingrained through decades if not more.

And racism does exist (not that I have personally experienced it yet), and I may add, in both directions (yes please..), and it has taken centuries to come to this point..lest we forget.


**


Good post in NYTimes

3 comments:

rathchakra said...

Hmm...wonder why I did not see any blacks at the Tea party protesters on 9/12 in DC.

kautilya said...

They were possibly drained out attending all rallies during previous administration..

kautilya said...

Then, as I got to where the Smithsonian museums start, I came across another rally, the Black Family Reunion Celebration. Several thousand people had gathered to celebrate African-American culture. I noticed that the mostly white tea party protesters were mingling in with the mostly black family reunion celebrants...

Because sociology is more important than fitness, I stopped to watch the interaction. These two groups were from opposite ends of the political and cultural spectrum. They’d both been energized by eloquent speakers. Yet I couldn’t discern any tension between them. It was just different groups of people milling about like at any park or sports arena.


Link