Monday, February 16, 2009

Some Countries

Some countries just fascinate me. There's something about them that I have heard or read ( or may be it's their flag) . I don't know.. but there's some random-ness about them that hits me.

Sounds weird huh? Can't explain...

Here's my top 5

1. Luxembourg: I read that it's GDP per capita is second highest in the world. Not sure why it's never in news. Looks productive to me!
May be it is in the news sometimes and I blink and miss it.

2. New Zea land : Another country that has something about it. Could be the fact that it's one of the oldest democracies in the world. Or the fact that they were amongst the first to give women, the rights to vote. Not sure what it is. And I know it is beautiful out there. But that is not what fascinates me about that country.
May be the fact that there are more sheep than people in that country. Or may be the fact that Lord of the Rings DVDs was it's single biggest export after dairy products at one point.

3. Mongolia : They are the KINGS of non-news. I mean where do you hear about them? For good or for worse. It's like they exist only in Atlas or the Globe sitting on my desk. And yet they are pretty huge in size (u'd think!!) For all practical purposes they are non-existent as far as I can tell.
I think it has something to do with the ragging days during my first year of graduation. One of my senior's actually asked me - "Name the capital of Mongolia". U bet.Haven't forgotten Ulan Bator from that day on!

4. Papau New Guinea : It's just the name in this case. Nothing else. I am sure.

5. Chile : The geographical shape; I think. It's unique. I mean those people in Chile can never say - "We'd like to travel the length and breadth of our country". Yeah, good luck trying that - Coz there's NONE!!!. It's a snake.

1 comment:

rathchakra said...

Good one on Chile...
Yeah Lux is awesome I hear...its at the crossroads of the happening countries of Europe...Benelux (belgium/netherlands and lux) form an important economically active geographic area!
Mongolia - The only name that comes to my mind is Genghis Khan
PNG - Why are they even a country?
New Zealand - Dairy and LOTR...well said..I also like their cricketing venues...seem like chill places...no seating..just a grassy knoll with people sunning and drinking beer.

Countries that fascinate me: Morocco (ever since I saw Casablanca and the unique role Morocco played in the World Wars), Tunisia (for the same reason), Costa Rica...(the opening shot of Jurassic park sold me on this), Monaco - a cracker (pun intended) of a country and also for Grace Kelly, Montenegro (seems like a magically other worldly place), Madagascar - the name...so exotic, Burma - I think there is a connection with this place. There are many more.....