Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Disconnect

Since a new Desi Theatre has come next door, I thought it was our moral obligation to watch a bollywood flick. And we did. Last weekend we chose in our wisdom, to watch a movie called Love Aaj Kal.. (Until yesterday I was calling it Love Aaj Tak, before my wife corrected me...)

The more movies I watch the more I feel disconnected with India. OK. Let me paraphrase this. The more new movies I watch the more I feel disconnected with new Generation India.

A simple explanation would be, "I am getting old and this is natural". But I think if I peel the layers, this is beyond me getting old (which is a fact of life anyways).

I have no beef against "romantic" movies in general. I think they are just fine; although given a choice between Comedy/Action and Romance, I won't sweat too much. It's a no-brainer. No it's not the lovey-dovey chic flicks I am against. I am against this whole, new thing of "trying to be cool" stuff.

Actually "trying too hard to be cool" stuff. Being cool should come natural. You should not have to make an effort to be cool, if that's your ultimate aim in life anyways. And that's where this excuse to a movie-making, Love Aaj Tak falters for me. It tries too hard to be super cool.

Only it doesn't. It's all over the place. Trying to cling on to "traditions" by having an over doze of Punjabiyat in the movie.. (Imtiaz Ali is one movie short of beating the Chopra camp now). And at the same time showing two NRIs of the Internet Generation trying to have a long distance relationship.

It's an interesting subject actually.. and very contemporary. Can connect to young demography. But....

Anywho... so looks like it will be a while before I revisit the Desi Theatre next door. Even the samosas over there suck! Bad Desi Movie and bad Samosa. That's a loose-loose.

P.S : Sigh!..I am already missing those samosas in Alankar Cinema, Ambazari Road

2 comments:

rathchakra said...

"The more movies I watch the more I feel disconnected with India. OK. Let me paraphrase this. The more new movies I watch the more I feel disconnected with new Generation India."

Movies like Love Aaj Kal do not represent any part of India. These films are dream-factories and exist in a fantasy land. Even if you were in India you would still feel disconnected with them. So the explanation is not that you are getting old, but that these movies are very very far removed from the reality (Hindi movies have always thrived on it and largely exist in this strange land). Such movies have been around for years (just look back you will find many from our school/college/work days in India). What has changed is the setting, costumes, locations...essentially the packaging...inside they are the same.

Take an example of "Luck by chance" or "Oye Lucky Lucky Oye" - if you identified with the emotions of the characters, understood their ups and downs and brought a smile or that slight nod of agreement with the proceedings: you are still connected to the "Indian generation". Let these movies be a mirror to the Indian-ness and not the Love Aaj Kal types.

kautilya said...

yep. u said it!